In the South, football season is a big deal! Weekend wear during the season often includes a team jersey or at least the team colors. There is a sense of belonging in the atmosphere. We feel a strong sense of community. Overall, it just feels good.
Couples can actually learn a few valuable tricks from their home team.
According to marriage researcher, John Gottman, PhD., happy couples have a few things in common:
- They have friendship and admiration.
- They have each other’s back.
- They handle conflict well.
- They have a sense of “we-ness”.
With these characteristics, they form a pretty strong team that can handle life’s toughest challenges.
Take a moment and think about how you and your partner function well as a home team.
Here are some questions to help the two of you define who the two of you are as a team:
- What are our team’s strengths?
- What would be our team motto?
- How about our team name?
- What mascot would best represent our team?
- What would our team logo look like?
- What would be our team colors?
Even if you cheer for rival teams on the field, take time to celebrate what makes the two of you a strong team!
Written by: Jackie Dunagan, LAMFT