If you’re a mom, you are likely very familiar with interrupted sleep, endless laundry and housework, tantrums, busy schedules, cooking, and very little time to yourself. In the midst of constant demands, many hardworking and selfless women forget that in order to be a good mom you must make yourself a priority.
No matter where you are in your journey as a mom, self-care cannot be an occasional treat, it must be a committed daily practice.
Each day, decide on one thing that will be done just for you that brings you pleasure or relaxation. Self-care is an essential element of motherhood that sadly gets overlooked or dismissed. If you have gotten off track or don’t know where to start, consider these healthy habits and even pass them along to a mom you know. If you find them to be already in practice, know that you will not regret investing in yourself!
- Ask for help.
- Stay connected with friends.
- Practice mindfulness — paying attention to the present moment on purpose and without judgment.
- Make sleep a priority. Take time to pause and rest.
- Practice saying “no” to things that lead to over-commitment,
- Sayin “yes” to invitations that can provide a positive distraction and reconnect you with the parts of yourself that have gone silent.
- Focus on the future and on each phase of parenting will come.
Written By: Michelle Rathburn, LAMFT