Whenever there is distressing or concerning news, it is always helpful for us to find ways to manage our anxiety. As many of us are aware the World Health Organization has issued that COVID-19, also known as the Coronavirus, is now a global pandemic.
While this is understandably frightening for many, it is going to be essential to take care of our mental and physical health throughout this time.
Below you will find several tips on reducing anxiety about Coronavirus:
- Keep perspective. When you’re too close to something, it looks really big. Take a step back and acknowledge what areas that you have some level of control in the actions that you take.
- Get the facts. It helps to have accurate information. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is posting information daily.
- Be careful about how much you focus on this versus the other important things in your life. Try to find a balance so that you are not overwhelming yourself with stress that this might cause.
- Don’t fear the fear itself. Stay grounded by engaging in meditative/relaxing activities to alleviate any stress that this current climate might cause.
- Do what you can. Get prepared to a reasonable degree.
- Stay healthy and make good health choices. This looks like washing your hands for 20 seconds under warm water and staying away from others if you are sick. Communities and states are issuing daily guidelines for how to best distance yourself and keep ourselves and communities healthy.
- Get help from a doctor if you need it. If you’re worried about your health, take the necessary steps to seek care. Most doctors are utilizing online chats to determine best steps forward.
- Stay connected. Fears grow in the dark. Staying connected to others helps you stay grounded and calm.
- Surround yourself with people and resources that help alleviate your fear and not increase it. Don’t hesitate to seek help from a counselor if you can’t keep your fear/anxiety in the “green zone.” GROW Counseling has many options for providing you the best care during these days, so reach out to us to inquire about your options!