Finding the Right Therapist
Finding the right fit for a therapist is so important, but often times people don’t know the right questions to ask a potential therapist. We’ve put together a list of questions that may be helpful for you to ask as you are considering who to choose!
1. What experience do you have working with the types of problems I am experiencing?
2. What is your approach to doing therapy in a situation such as this one?
3. In working with a patient or client, do you tend to be more directive or more like a consultant to the patient or client?
4. What types of things would you expect me to do between sessions, if anything?
5. What happens if I can’t make a session or am late to an appointment?
6. If I start having lots of problems between sessions, what are my options?
7. Do you have alternate options for treatment? Via phone, Skype, etc?
8. What would I have to do to be ready for the first session? What should I expect for my first session?
9. What is not private and confidential about what we talk about?
10. Do you think you can help me with my particular issue?
11. What are your strengths as a therapist?
12. Have you personally been in therapy? Why do you think that is or is not important?
13. What is your training and background?
14. What are the advantages and disadvantages of different approaches to treatment, including medications?
15. How will we assess my progress?